What is a protective style anyway?
In a nut shell, protective styling is setting your hair in a way that shields it from environmental, physical and/or chemical damage with limited “hand-to-hair” contact. These styles are kept for a period of time, making life easier since you don’t have to touch and do it all the time. Some examples of protective styling are buns, braids, twists, weaves and wigs.
Who can benefit form protective styling?
Protective styles are suggested for curly and kinky hair types but also for hair that’s exposed to elements of cold, wind and harsh air quality. Also for those that workout a lot, travel and have busy schedules.
What are some tips when protective styling?
- Do not leave hair in protective styles and forget about it
Remember your hair still needs to be washed, moisturized, and maintained. If not, it can lead to tangles, breakage and brittleness. We recommend leaving protective styles for about 2-6 weeks; giving it a couple weeks rest before reinstalling. Be mindful of cotton, wool and other hats and scarves that snag hair.
- Do not style hair too tight
Tight styles apply too much pressure on hair and scalp and can lead to hair loss and scalp bumps, and damage.
What’s the proper way to care for hair in a protective style?
1. Keep hair and scalp clean. Lint, dust and dirt will build up underneath and in between. If you have sensitive edges, you should be very particular about gently cleansing edges every 1-2 weeks to keep pores clean and unclogged. Unkept, dirty hair can lead to hair loss.
2. Keep hair and scalp hydrated. Use only water-based, non-creamy moisturizers and/or oils for those with dry, oil-friendly scalps. LaJAshley’s Moisture Mist Leave in Conditioner is perfect for keeping hair moisturized while providing the essential nutrients it needs to be healthy and grow. Stop there or follow up with, LaJAshley’s Chamomile Chai Dry Hair Elixir, for dry scalp, or Strengthening Hair Elixir to grow long healthy hair underneath.
3. Always wear a satin scarf or use a satin pillow case in bed.